In Projectized Organization Structure , all the company is organized by projects rather than functional teams or departments. The project team members work under the project manager and assigned for only one project and the project manager has the power and authority.
Projectized Organization Structure
Functional managers are not exist in protectized organization structures. If there is one, his power or authority is very limited. Organizations give project managers authority and power as needed to complete the project but this does not mean that he has absolute authority to do everything he wants.He is responsible to top management and he has to implement the decision taken by them.
For instance let’s say that you are a project manager of a pipeline project and your sidebooms are lying idle on site due to the winter period. In this case, the top management will allocate some of your sidebooms to another project. You may or you may not agree with this decision, but you have to comply with it.
– The project team members work under the project manager and report him directly.
– The project manager has full power and authority needed to complete the project. Therefore he controls the budget, resources and work.
– When the project has completed the whole team will dissolve.
Advantages of a Projectized Organization Structure
– The project team members directly reports to the project manager which enables decision making faster.
– Strong communication line can be established inside the project team.
– Team members bring their skills and experience from their past projects. This
expedites decision making and provides flexibility.
– Responses to stakeholder’s concerns are usually very fast.
Disadvantages of a Projectized Organization Structure
– The project manager’s full power and authority may decrease the project team’s motivation.
– The project team can be stressful because there is always a deadline (milestones).
– If the project duration increases, cost of employee and equipment will increase.
– If the organization has more than one project, there may be very poor communication and cooperation among the different project teams.Because project teams may focus on their own project’s goals rather than the organizational goal.
– Team members have sense of insecurity because when the project finishes, they may lose their jobs.