WM College, historically known as Working Men’s College (WMC), is the oldest surviving adult education institute in Europe. Founded in 1854 the College was associated with the Cooperative Movement and the Christian Socialists which stem, from the same tradition that later led to the Worker’s Educational Association. The Working Women’s College, founded 10 years later in 1864, finally merged with WMC in 1967. Early supporters of both have included F D Maurice, John Stuart Mill, Tom Hughes, Dante Gabriel Rossetti, John Ruskin, Ford Maddox Brown, Walter de la Mare, and Octavia Hill. Originally based in Red Lion Street, we have been in this listed building in Camden Town since 1905. We have continued to develop the tradition of liberal education and today the College serves the whole community. Our community is representative of the London population and our local area and is made up of Adults seeking work who need to achieve formal qualifications, those who wish to learn for personal enjoyment and wellbeing, and those who have retired from full-time work but who wish to remain active and involved in the local community. We have grown rapidly in recent years but are still small enough to know all our learners and to respond to their individual wants. WM College was designated as a Specialist Designated Institution (SDI) under the 1992 Further Education Act and became one of the nine national Institutes of Adult Learning in 2017.
To supply diverse, enriching, and enjoyable lifelong learning, including skills for work, in a supportive environment for adults in Camden and the local field.
WM College goals to:
- Supply high-quality provision and excellence for all
- Provide efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability
- Enhance partnership working
Our Core Values
- WM College is Learner Centred: We strive to enable all learners to achieve their potential and to enjoy their learning with us. We listen to our learners and are adaptable, flexible and responsive to learner needs.
- WM College is committed to Continuous Improvement and Excellence: We perpetually review what we do and how it could be improved to ensure that we get better.
- WM College is Respectful: We promote equality and celebrate diversity. We respect differences and treat people as individuals. We are understanding each other’s values, cultures and beliefs and observe these in our interactions with each other.
- WM College is Collaborative: We work together to meet our common aims, valuing each other’s contributions. We share and celebrate the skills, information, and experience of every person at WMC.