Founded in 1982 by Principal Jenny Gibbs OBE, KLC School of Design was set up on the three core values of innovation, creativity, and integrity. The school has grown and improved over the past three decades but the core values remain and have been infused into every aspect of our teaching and business practices.
When Jenny Gibbs launched the school in the early 1980s, career-based interior design training wasn’t widely available and the few design courses which were available concentrated mainly on hobby-level abilities. The school was set up especially to meet the need for industry-relevant training and this spirit of innovation has thoroughly instilled itself into all of our course developments. Our close working relationship with the design industry and our access to practicing professionals is a unique feature of our courses and something which all of our students benefit from throughout their studies. What’s more, we pride ourselves on delivering interior design training through cutting-edge teaching and learning methods, as well as committing to invest in technology that will aid our students to achieve new and greater levels of interaction and exploration. Our latest innovation is KLC Connect – an exciting, new initiative aimed at helping students bridge the gap between their course and employment and to make them feel more a part of the design community. Student, industry and alumni representatives work together to plan an imaginative annual program to give students a better understanding of how the industry works, add value to their studies, provide extensive networking occasions and help them prepare for the workplace.
Mission and Strategy
At KLC we put our students at the heart of everything we do. Our culture of caring is applied not only to how we teach but how we address urgent issues that affect us all, encouraging students to reflect on how they as designers can impact the environment, communities, and each other.
Our courses are innovative but career-concentrated and firmly grounded within the industry although the realities of practice are never at the cost of cultivating our students’ creativity.
We promote collaboration, experimentation, and fearless exploration to the point that our graduates become sought-after employees and professional designers who will continue to push the industry forward in the ever-altering professional landscape. Our strong relationships with graduates and industry allow for reciprocal support for our students and our graduates throughout the lifespan of their career
- To entirely monitor the quality of the student experience, teaching and learning, and resources and to perpetually look for ways these can be enhanced
- To develop the new KLC Connect initiative, fostering ever stronger links between students and the design community with the support of industry and alumni representatives, and build up relationships with the wider community, particularly through community-based projects
- To concentrate on student learning outcomes, graduate employability and to enhance the KLC provision of careers support nationally and internationally
- To ensure that course program content and outcomes are up to date with the latest trends and design practice, to research new areas of development and supply innovation in delivery
- To make support and development occasions for staff a priority
- To ensure that the educational business model is sustainable while maintaining the quality of the provision and support services and providing genuine value for money for course fees and student investment of time
- To look for ways of supplying affordable, flexible study routes to increase access and participation and to support the Design Changes Lives Foundation in its activities
- To further expand student recruitment and increase the ratio of international students with diverse cultural influences studying at the School
- To ensure that the School maximizes and continues to capitalize on the added value offered as distinct from other independent and university courses: location, industry contacts, careers service, quality and volume of teaching, and exceptionally high levels of student support.
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Sorry, unable to load the Maps API.