ECDC is an EU agency purposed at strengthening Europe’s defenses against infectious diseases. The core functions cover a large spectrum of activities: surveillance, epidemic intelligence, response, scientific recommendation, microbiology, preparedness, public health training, international relations, health communication, and the scientific journal Eurosurveillance. ECDC disease programs cover antimicrobial resistance and healthcare-associated infections; emerging and vector-borne diseases; food- and waterborne diseases and zoonoses; HIV, sexually transmitted infections and viral hepatitis; influenza and other respiratory viruses; tuberculosis; and vaccine-preventable diseases.
In 2019, ECDC continues to contribute to health security, giving particular attention to the following sectors:
- Tackle antimicrobial resistance
- Develop vaccine coverage in the EU
- Assist the European Commission and the Member States in addressing the Sustainable Development Goals in the area of HIV, TB, and hepatitis
- Further, assist the European Commission and the Member States in strengthening the preparedness for cross-border health threats
- Concentrate strategic partnerships to create synergy and prevent duplication of work
- Further, provide ECDC’s operational performance and monitoring.
Our Mission: To identify, assess and communicate current and emerging threats to human health posed by communicable diseases. Further to this, the ECDC works to supply timely information to the European Commission, the Member States, Community agencies, and international organizations active within the field of public health. In order to succeed this mission, ECDC works in partnership with national health protection bodies across Europe to strengthen and improve continent-wide disease surveillance and early warning systems. By working with specialists throughout Europe, ECDC pools Europe’s health information to develop authoritative scientific opinions about the risks posed by current and emerging infectious diseases.
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Sorry, unable to load the Maps API.