What You Will Learn :
- Recognize that all team member complaints must be dealt with, rather than ignored or dismissed
- Identify the potential underlying issues of the complaint to determine the reasons or causes for the complaint
- Use active listening skills to maintain control, verify understanding and determine the facts of the situation
- Use the Managing Complaints Skill Points to plan and conduct a meeting with your team member
Your ability to keep an open mind when it comes to managing employee complaints is critical to the morale and success of your team and organization. Complaints highlight your team members’ frustrations and/or distractions, and addressing them negatively or avoiding them altogether affects productivity across the company.
Most employees don’t enjoy complaining, so when you are approached with a grievance, it is typically cause for concern. Knowing how to listen,effectively communicateand resolve complaints is fundamental to ensuring that your team members feel valued, understood and supported, which ultimately leads to greater job satisfaction and increased output.
The Vital Learning Managing Complaints™ course provides supervisors, team leaders and managers with a proven process and individual skills to effectively manage employee complaints in a way that supports employee and team goals. This course illustrates the importance of managers and team leaders listening to team member complaints and remaining non-judgmental. This is a pivotal skill – because what might appear to be a minor issue to the manager may, in fact, be a major problem to the team member.
- Open: Ask the team member to detail the complaint
- Clarify: Ask questions to gather all available details
- Seek/Share: Summarize the complaint to demonstrate your understanding
- Agree: Agree on appropriate actions to solve the complaint
- Close: Express your appreciation to the team member for bringing the complaint forward
Who is this course for?
This course is aimed at supervisors, team leaders and managers.