What You Will Learn :
- Identifying initiating causes and independent layers of protection (IPLs)
- LOPA use with several practical exercise examples
- Selection and application of data within a LOPA
- Illustration of importance of independent layers or protection
- Understand its application in SIL determination
A practical one day training course to provide an awareness and basic understanding of LOPA.
Regulations today ask industry to manage risk by assessing the risk and taking
appropriate action. LOPA is a method of risk assessment which is used to carry out SIL determination to comply with the IEC 61511 functional safety standards but is increasingly used in early in design to assess whether further risk reduction is required.
LOPA is a tool that can be calibrated at the time of use to allow assessment of the risk reduction required to give a tolerable level of risk.
Inappropriate use and application of LOPA can adversely affect the integrity of layers of protection specified. Either resulting in insufficient risk reduction or over specification leading to unnecessary spend in capital and operational budgets.
Who is this course for?
This course will be of benefit to managers and engineers who need to use LOPA as a method of risk assessment.