What You Will Learn :
- Recognize the importance of versatility in personal and business success
- Communicate persuasively with each Social Style
- Gain skills to effectively manage conflict and understand how and when to use various techniques to address fight and flight behaviors
- Adapt behavior to match others’ behavior—improving versatility to build better relationships and influence others
In every organization, there is an untapped asset—versatility. Social Styles Versatility is perhaps the most powerful interpersonal skill one can have. Versatility is the ability to recognize differences in communication preferences and to adapt to make others more open and receptive—creating more effective and productive relationships.
Building Relationship Versatility: Social Styles at Work is built around a four-quadrant Social Styles matrix. Because about 25% of people fall into each of these four categories, we share a Social Style with only about 25% of the people we meet. To effectively connect and build relationships with the other 75% requires Social Styles Versatility.
After being profiled, participants receive their Social Style, interpersonal versatility rating, and specific versatility behaviors. During the workshop, they learn how to identify others’ Social Styles and, based on understanding their own and others’ styles, learn to modify their own behaviors to communicate more easily and effectively with others.
Who is this course for?
This program is a must for individual contributors and leaders alike, regardless of experience level. Mastering Social Styles Versatility allows individuals to communicate more effectively, leaders to have more productive relationships with their direct reports, and cross-functional teams to be more efficient and effective.